NJPW G1 Climax 28 Night 15 Review 8.5.18 W/5 Minute Wrestling Reviews
Night 15 of the NJPW G1 Climax 28 tournament was a very solid show, and one of the better shows from the A block this year. Kazuchika Okada and Evil put out a great main event, and Michael Elgin against Hiroshi Tanahashi had a lot of drama. With only one match remaining for each wrestler it will likely come down to the winner of Tanahashi/Okada, but Jay White is lurking in the standings as well.
Let us know your favorite match of the night, and be sure to subscribe for more reviews if you enjoyed the show! Don’t forget to check back here at Hittin The Canvas for reviews of each night of the G1 Climax tournament!
• Yoshi-Hashi vs. Bad Luck Fale: Loa trips YH early and suplexes him outside. Fale continues to lay in offense inside before YH hits a blockbuster for 2. YH delivers a big lariat and shoves Fale into Loa. YH delivers double knees to Loa and follows with another set to Fale for 2. Tonga comes in and delivers a chair shot for the DQ finish. *1/4
• Minoru Suzuki vs. Hangman Page: Page attacks before the bell and they brawl in the crowd. Page hits a moonsault from the top of the stage to the floor. Suzuki takes control and works Page’s arm in some chairs and also utilizing the barricades. Suzuki terrorizes the ref and whips Page into the barricade. In the ring Page delivers a dropkick in the corner and pump handle slam for 2. Suzuki fights back with slaps and a PK for 2. They trade forearms and Suzuki spits in Page’s face and delivers stiff shots. Suzuki can’t get the piledriver and eats a superkick and buckshot lariat. Rite of Passage is reversed into a sleeper but Page reverses out to hit Rite of Passage and get a huge upset. ***1/2
• Jay White vs. Togi Makabe: White attacks in the corner before they spill outside and White posts Makabe. Back in the ring Makabe hits a powerslam and corner punches. White hits a big Saito suplex and twisting suplex for 2. White delivers big lariats and a big German, but Makabe fires up with a lariat of his own. Makabe hits an overhead suplex from the top and big lariat for 2. White gets a chair but Makabe hits a lariat. Ref bump occurs and White tosses a chair right at Makabe’s head. Blade Runner ends it. ***1/4
• Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Michael Elgin: Elgin wins a test of strength to start the match. Elgin hits an Alabama Slam and backbreaker for 2. They trade dragon screws and Elgin hits a big belly to belly. Tana hits a top rope dragon screw and locks the cloverleaf. Elgin hits a big superplex for 2 and follows with a massive powerbomb for a nearfall. Buckle bomb is followed immediately by a sling blade for 2. Twist and shout is followed by a sling blade. Elgin catches HFF and delivers a monster lariat. Splash Mountain gets 2. Buckle Bomb is followed by a reversed Elgin bomb into a roll up for a Tana victory. ****
• Kazuchika Okada vs. Evil: Evil gets a quick nearfall and lariat to start. Okada gets whipped into the barricade outside and into the post with a chair on his throat. Evil continues to dominate inside with chops and strikes. Okada finally hits a DDT and flapjack for 2. They battle on the apron and Evil throws him throat first on the barricade. Okada hits a DDT on the ramp and the shotgun dropkick. Okada hits another shotgun dropkick and a missile dropkick fight to the face! Evil hits a Magic Killer with Red Shoes. Darkness falls gets 2. Rainmaker gets reversed into one by Evil for 2. Evil hits a huge lariat but Okada hits Everything is Evil for 2. Dropkick and tombstone from Okada is followed by a spinning Rainmaker and a proper Rainmaker for an Okada victory. ****1/4
Hiroshi Tanahashi: 7-1 (14pts.)
Jay White: 6-2 (12pts.)
Kazuchika Okada: 6-2 (12pts.)
Minoru Suzuki: 4-4 (8pts.)
EVIL: 4-4 (8pts.)
Michael Elgin: 3-5 (6pts.)
Adam Page: 3-5 (6pts.)
Bad Luck Fale: 3-5 (6pts.)
Togi Makabe: 2-6 (4pts.)
YOSHI-HASHI: 2-6 (4pts.)
Thanks for watching, and be sure to check back here for the Night 16 Review!
Follow us on Twitter @5MinWresReviews